Re: [LAU] surround sound with stereo usb DACs?

From: Bearcat M. ªandor <hometheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 02:43:12 EET

> Have you thought of buying a decent pci sound card? A PCI solution
> would mostly likely be better in almost every way.
> You can choose a level of price quality, and > 8 channel out is easy
> to find. My echo 3g does that fine, with no arseing around and i would
> suspect superior sound quality, if not put and DAC you like on the
> ADAT out... ;)
>
> Loki
I have actually. I'm thinking that i could get *fantastic* quality out of a
RME MADI and that multichannel converter they have. However, the inputs and 64
channels ^o.0^ is overkill.

If i get a good pci card and are therefore doing the D/A conversion in the box
how much do i need to worry about electrical isolation and noise and all that?

Frankly i think we audiophiles can be full of it. I have a ultra quiet system
(scythe brand fans) and even using the on board sound, putting my ear right
against the tweeter (a micro-thin cylinder tweeter) and turning up the amp
and sound mixer to max i can't hear a *thing*. No fan noise, no hum.
Nothing.

Thanks folks.

--
Bearcat M. ªandor