Re: [LAU] Some fun for drummers - learning drums

From: Peter Finnegan <peter.c.finnegan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 06:19:43 EET

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 01:12 +0100, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> > 2009/1/18 Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>:
> >
> >> A drum-driven show last night, big time:
> >>
> >> http://www.archive.org/details/AudiobrailleLive2009-01-16
> >>
> >> Super fun. Not too much Linux going on there, just my usual Fluidsynth,
> >> AZR3-JACK, and AMS stuff, with a little WhySynth and NekoString to
> Nice session...
>
> I am wondering, what is a good way to learn some drumming? I was
> thinking of just buying a snare drum and two sticks...
>
> \r

Actually a practice pad and a set of thicker sticks, like the Vic Firth
SD1 general, will help develop chops and hand coordination. I would
also work with the book "Stick Control" by George Stone. The Percussive
Arts Society has a good set of resources as well
http://www.pas.org/Resources/Downloads.cfm

I would save your money to get drums that you would like to play- e.g.
congas or other sort of hand drum, drum set, etc.

P.F.