Re: [LAU] Any opinions on this ...

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 19:04:16 EET

On 16 January 2009 at 0:52, Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I wouldn't. I don't know about whatever extra noise damping they do.

I put an Acousti-Pak (same stuff they use) in a couple home built
computers. It's really great stuff. It's going in all my future
computers.

> I can tell you that my Asus P3-PH5X is pretty darn quiet, and
> it was all stock parts bought from Newegg.

My last computer (until the CPU fan decided to get noisy when I had
to swap out a dead motherboard) was so quiet I could only tell it was
on by the light on the front. That's my target for "quiet".

> The memory they're offering is on the slow side. The cpu and hd are low
> on cache memory. I think you can do better. Because I've been shopping,
> some examples from Newegg this week:
>
> A Core 2 Duo at 3.0 Ghz with 12 Mb L2 cache: $169
> DDR3 1600 RAM around $130 for 2Gb, about half that for DDR2.
> A 1Tb Hitachi sata drive with 32Mb cache for $79 after all the rebates.
> Asus P3-PH5 for $179.

Yes, it seems I could do better. I'm trying to stay close to $1000US.
But, it also looks like I'm building a different version of about the
same power machine as my Athlon 64-X2. I thought maybe upgrading to
quad-core would be a nice upgrade. But really, my dual-core box only
benefits me when I compile software. I haven't found all that much
threading in apps yet. It might not be the right time for me to
upgrade. I was trying to take advantage of the drop in computer
prices.

> I would maximze ram and cache to optimize performance. The more you run
> from ram instead of drive based swap, the better.

Agreed.

Thanks...

--
Kevin