Re: [LAU] Firewire interface in 20-bit mode?

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Sun Jan 25 2009 - 13:33:36 EET

Rick Green wrote:
> I have a Saffire Pro26, and I've been happily using it for a few months
> now, both alone and with a DBX386 to give me channels 9&10 via SPDIF.

yeah, a great piece of gear. i'm quite happy with mine, too.

> have a few old ADAT LX20s, which I could use as external A/D converters,
> except for the fact that the current state of the firewire driver supports
> 24bit transfers only, and the ADATs will only do 16 or 20

have you actually tried it? i would expect things to just work... if
not, you might want to post this issue to the ffado-users list. haven't
read the ADAT lightpipe spec, but i thought the only thing that would
require configuration was channel bundling for 96khz.

the really annoying thing with adat machines is that there is no way to
use both the in and out converters in a full duplex mode while bypassing
the tape (at least with an adat XT i tried, confirmed by alesis support,
i couldn't believe it...)

best regards,

jörn