Re: [LAU] OT: Phantom power and my acoustic guitar

From: Andrea Del Signore <sejerpz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 15:17:10 EET

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:55:25 -0600, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> Andrea Del Signore wrote:
>> By the way I ever thought that since the guitar has two output plugs
>> one XLR and one jack 1/4", the XLR one was balanced while the other
>> unbalanced.
>
> Yes, the XLR jack is balanced. Phantom power on that jack should _not_
> harm your gear. It's called 'phantom' because it's transparent to
> devices that don't need/want it. If you try to use phantom power
> through a normal instrument jack (without a direct box)... you will fry
> your gear -- and this is what Jorn was saying. (**)

Ok I understand, but I don't like your _should_ or the _may_ in the user
manual of my mixer :D

> No, I don't think you need to inspect the circuitry on your guitar.

That's good!

> Note, however, that most mixing consoles are able to turn off phantom
> power on a per-channel basis. On the mixing console I use, it's a
> discrete button at the top of each channel.

That's indeed the problem! A lot of cheap ones have just a single button
that switch on the phantom power on *all* XLR inputs. And guest what...
my mixer is very cheap ;)

> Most literature doesn't even mention phantom power unless (a) it
> _utilizes_ it or (b) it will damage the equipment. I've never seen (b).

That's was the kind information I need. You never seen (b) why should
I ??!?

> If you use a direct box between the mixer (w/phantom) and the
> instrument, you do not have to worry about phantom power. Your gear
> will be safe as long as everything is working proper.

I don't want to buy other gear just to play in my bed room... And after
this little discussion and other searches in internet I think that all
will be fine.

> (**) - Caveat: If the cable is damaged, it is possible for phantom
> power to damage your gear. As Jorn said, phantom power utilizes all 3
> wires in the mic cable. If one of the wires is damaged, then your gear
> will be at risk. This is also what Jorn was saying. Viz.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

Ok my balanced cable is very new and I didn't use it in a stage etc... So
I'll be very unlucky if something is broken.

> HTH,
> Gabriel

Yes all this thread helped a lot thanks.

Bye,
Andrea