Re: [LAU] Are RT-patches needed anymore? (Was Re: >= 2.6.27 RT ETA?)

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 15:41:43 EET

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, James Stone wrote:
[...]
> I think it is possible to get a bit obsessional about getting the
> lowest possible latency. IIRC I think I read that standard hardware
> midi keyboards have a latency of around 10ms, and mechanical organs
> can have even more latency?? So, I think it is more a matter of
> technique.

Depends on what you want to do... As long as the latency is *constant*
(as in, no granularity for MIDI events), a few ms more or less is no
big deal. Use headphones instead of near field monitors, and you cut
some 3 ms right there...!

If you're trying to route the monitor sound for a vocalist through the
computer, latency might be more critical. It feels pretty weird if
the monitor sound is significantly delayed, but I'm not sure exactly
how much one can tolerate.

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |