Re: [LAU] multi processor

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 10:57:43 EET

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <
nando@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 22:24 +0300, alex stone wrote:
> > I've done a bit of googling, but can't seem to find or understand
> > information about linux (audio and vid specific, for example writing
> > for film) and multicore, multi processors.
> >
> > Example being a Mobo that supports quadcore/ 4 cpu. (Tyan)
>
> You mean one quadcore processor or 4 quad core processors?
>
> > Anyone using one of these monsters for audio/video, with linux?
>
> We have one Supermicro H8QM3 with 4 quad core opteron 8356 processors
> (16 cores in all!). Mostly for multi-threading and sound server
> experimental stuff. Works fine so far but it is in the server room (very
> noisy! :-)
>
> > If so, what's the performance/compatibility like? Driver/module
> > issues, things not working, etc..
>
> On this particular mobo I've had problems with newer kernels (won't boot
> correctly) that I have not debugged - I just keep using an older one.
>
> The performance depends on the software. Very little stuff out there is
> properly multithreaded and can use more than one core. AFAIK pd,
> supercollider, chuck, etc, etc, use only one core. CLM in its newer S7
> Scheme incarnation does use multiple cores and Bill has reported very
> good speedups in non-realtime synthesis. Faust can also generate
> multithreaded code that scales very well. Stuff like mpeg encoders also
> have parameters to enable more than one thread of execution.
>
> -- Fernando

Fernando, thanks for the information.

I was thinking about multicore multiprocessor, and your example fits the
bill.

Can i ask, how does it perform with Ardour, RG, LSampler, Jackmp, etc?

Are all cores recognised and used with these apps?

And which distro and version did you have a problem with?

Alex.