Re: [LAU] orchestra mixing, reverb, and spatialization

From: Stéphane Magnenat <stephane@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 09:47:31 EET

> There is another program by the same author of the tap plugins called
> reverbed that lets you edit just about every aspect of the reflections.

I've already played with it. It is very nice indeed, but it requires
handcrafting of all parameters. For instance, one has to specify each early
reflection by hand. It would be much more convenient to be able to specify
the size of the room, the position and size of the instrument, the position
of the listener, and some parameters for the walls ; and let the program
compute the corresponding early reflections patterns. It is probably not that
difficult to do, as it only requires basic 2D geometry. The main issues that
I see are:
- How many early reflections to take into account?
- What is the relation between the room dimensions and the allpass impulses?
- How to make nice use of stereo input; for instance, should the left wall
early reflection use the left channel source positioned at the most-left
point of the instrument area, and the corresponding layout for the right one?
If these questions find answers easily, building an easy-to-use reverb editor
for ladspa is probably only a matter of dumb coding, by extracting the TAP
reverberator source code and fusing it to a GUI application for instrument
and listener positioning.

What do you think?

Have a nice day,

Stéphane