[LAU] orchestra mixing, reverb, and spatialization

From: Stéphane Magnenat <stephane@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 00:17:49 EET

Hello,

I am helping a friend to mix an orchestral piece using Ardour. To add depth to
the different instruments, we have created three buses, each with a TAP
Reverberator with the same settings (Hall HD type) excepted the dry/wet ratio.
The different instruments are panned according to a common orchestral layout.

This works, but I feel that both the depth and the stereo positioning could be
improved. Indeed, the Hall HD reverb settings has fixed early reflections
patterns while the different instruments should have different ones according to
their physical positions.

I was wondering if any of you knows about some ways to improve this. As a
solution, I am thinking about writing a software to compute the early
reflections patterns of an instrument given its 2D position in the orchestra.
In this case, do you have suggestions of how many early reflections I should
use (left/right walls + back for left/right walls?). Does the allpass filter
settings depend on the position of the instrument/walls?

My feeling is that the reverb GUI should include stereo panning as well in
order to launch rays from the correct 2D positions.

What do you think about such idea? Would someone be interested to contribute
to such project?

Thank you, kind regards,

Stéphane

--