Re: [LAU] orchestra mixing, reverb, and spatialization

From: Reuben <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 04:42:25 EET

Back on Wednesday 11 February 2009 01:47:31 am Stéphane Magnenat was saying
stuff like:
> > There is another program by the same author of the tap plugins called
> > reverbed that lets you edit just about every aspect of the reflections.
>
> I've already played with it. It is very nice indeed, but it requires
> handcrafting of all parameters. For instance, one has to specify each early
> reflection by hand. It would be much more convenient to be able to specify
> the size of the room, the position and size of the instrument, the position
> of the listener, and some parameters for the walls ; and let the program
> compute the corresponding early reflections patterns. It is probably not
> that difficult to do, as it only requires basic 2D geometry. The main
> issues that I see are:
> - How many early reflections to take into account?
> - What is the relation between the room dimensions and the allpass
> impulses? - How to make nice use of stereo input; for instance, should the
> left wall early reflection use the left channel source positioned at the
> most-left point of the instrument area, and the corresponding layout for
> the right one? If these questions find answers easily, building an
> easy-to-use reverb editor for ladspa is probably only a matter of dumb
> coding, by extracting the TAP reverberator source code and fusing it to a
> GUI application for instrument and listener positioning.

If you want to model the the ambient reflections with that type of physical
accuracy, you would probably save yourself a lot of trouble by finding an
actual performance venue that you want to model after, and get several stereo
impulse response samples from the desired listening location, with the sources
coming from the different locations on stage that you are wanting to use as
instrument sources.

-Reuben