Re: [LAU] orchestra mixing, reverb, and spatialization

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2009 - 00:39:11 EET

Hello!
   I'm no real expert in the field, but I did a few experiments in 3D sound,
using headphones and reverbaration. If you're not afriad of text-applications,
you could use csound. Or possible clm(I don't know if they have the same
capabilities, but I'd strongly guess so).
   Csound has an opcode to design a simple four wall, floor, ceiling room, in
which you can position sounds (in real 3D). The realism of the sound of course
depends on your output setup (headphones, 8 speaker cube). But with my last
piece, I found, that the csound way gave a nice realastic ambience to my
piece.
   If you're not so keen on 3D sound and 3D positioning, you could of course
look for a nice IR (impulse response) and use jconv or its graphical mate.
These natural reverbs sound very nice and clean. They don't have the grainy
quality.
   If you're interested in the results of csound's spat3d opcode you might look
here:
http://juliencoder.de/songs/a_little_moaning.ogg
(first 3 minutes, big room, with 9 placed sources)
and
http://juliencoder.de/songs/a_life_in_keys.ogg
(small band in a smaller room, nice ambience
   I can't verify the URLs right now, the server seems to have a small
downtime. Sorry for the inconvenience.
   Kindest regards
           Julien

--------