Re: [LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 11:23:05 EET

Hallo,
Chris Cannam hat gesagt: // Chris Cannam wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Beat and rhythm detection also is a hot topic for many years in the
> > academic music scene as it's a necessary prerequisite to let a
> > computer play along with human performers, ideally in real time.
>
> I actually find this goal more distasteful than the one Fons is objecting to.
>
> I can understand why people are interested in automatic accompaniment,
> but mangling human-made music to fit a specific timing map seems like
> a more proper goal to me -- "manufactured" being somehow preferable to
> "simulated". (I think this may be an "uncanny valley" situation -- if
> you haven't met this term before, look it up.)

I know this term from research on human-like robots.

Anyway it's not just "automatic accompaniment" as in "Band in a Box"
that I'm referring to, but the use of a computer to do what it can do
better than any human, namely carrying out algorithms for complicated
processes designed by a human.

Also experimentation with a computer in this regard can give valuable
insights into how the human mind experiences music. In the end, the
computer, like the book, is a tool to help humans think.

A good introduction to what I mean is Robert Rowe's book "Machine
Musicianship" by MIT Press.

Ciao

--
Frank