Re: [LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

From: Danni Coy <danni.coy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 09:04:09 EET

Without hearing the piece I can't comment completely. But usually old jazz
often doesn't have a set tempo as it is in a space where the rhythms are
"felt"... The best way to add beats as you put it is to feel it... Either
bang your hands on the desk or sing the lines. you might even try recording
this and using a midi trigger tool (I am sure there is one of these about)
to replace the tapping with a sampled drum sound. Also by looking at what
you recorded you should be able to deduce a lot of information about the
tempo and time structure.

Good luck with whatever you attempt... Like a lot of people here I am sick
to death of completely regular computerized rhythmic structures and prefer
the looser felt ones. But mixing the two can sometimes sound good. Knowing
how to anticipate or go behind the rhythm helps a lot in this regards....