Re: [LAU] NtEd

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 09:30:05 EET

On Thursday 12 February 2009 23:28:39 chris beagles wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:51 AM, ethan a young <ethan.y.us@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am posting in favorable comment of the notation editor, NtEd. It has
> > a very straightforward and simple yet powerful interface. It seems very
> > well-designed, and has been much more stable than the alternatives on
> > both my Ubuntu and 64studio systems.
> >
> > I come from a background with Windows Encore version 4.5, which I still
> > run through Wine. However, I would like to switch to to a native Linux
> > program. I've tried MuseScore, which seems powerful, but is complicated
> > and has remained buggy on my system, including crashes and several
> > compilation errors. Canorus seems promising, too, but does not seem to
> > be as far along or moving as fast in development as NtEd.
> >
> > For the record, I am notating the following types of pieces:
> > 1. four-part SATB
> > 2. piano pieces
> > 3. jazz lead sheets
> > 4. small instrumental ensemble music
> >
> > What has other's experiences been so far with these new and developing
> > programs?
>
> I'm a massive fan of Musescore, it has replaced Sibelius for all my
> notational needs.
I love this program as well. Certain stability issues still plague it and many
of the best features are "hidden" behind keyboard sequences.

> Nted and Canorus seem very stable but not to my personal taste.

Nted is, as said, well maintained and frequently upgraded. The author was
tremendously cooperative in fixing Hebrew text issues and updating the text
capabilities to "standard". Not as pretty as mscore but becoming quite good

Canorus is the "other" noteedit successor has a long long way to go. Noteedit
is no longer maintained by is (not cited as such!) an excellent front end for
mup. Noteedit gets the job done while mscore will crash and nted may lack a
certain feature (as of last download).

> And using Rosegarden for notation (which I haven't done for a very
> long time so may be completely wrong here) I found very cumbersome.
Very very cumbersome. Good for display only.