Re: [LAU] an rt kernel for ubuntu 8.10 ?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 19:52:00 EET

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As some of you know, I've had nothing but trouble with Ubuntu's rt
> kernel, specifically 2.6.27-3-rt from the current repos. As a result
> I've been working in non-realtime, and I'm not happy about it.
>
> So, what's my best procedure here ? Shall I compile my own kernel, and
> if so, what's the currently recommended kernel source package ? I want
> decent realtime performance from this machine, a 2 GHz notebook, and I'm
> willing to do some building if necessary.
>
> Is the patch for ALSA (that showed up on this list) included in any
> contemporary sources ?
>
> Is anyone here running Ubuntu 8.10 with an rt kernel, and if so, which one ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Dave,
   I guess I could use a little more info before I even suggest a path
for you to take. when you say the "Ubuntu rt kernel" is this just the
standard rt kernel but supplied by Ubuntu, or is this an Ubuntu kernel
(i.e. - a kernel.org kernel patched with Ubuntu patches) and then
further patched with the rt stuff?

   My #1 suggestion is to make sure you are just using the standard rt
kernel. I had a bit of trouble with 2.6.25-rt so I stayed with 2.6.24
for a while and just recently moved to 2.6.26.8-rt12 which is working
fine for me but did require that I reconfigure it from scratch instead
of using make oldconfig so building it was a little more painful. It's
working well though.

   I guess it's just me but I don't understand the motivation for
running the newest rt kernel. I upgrade every 2-3 major kernel
revisions these days, or when I hear about a major bug, security
issue, etc. I used 2.6.21, 24 and now 26.

- Mark