Re: [LAU] 24-bit files and hisss.... GOT IT

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 14:03:06 EET

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:45:58 -0700
"Bearcat M. Şandor" <hometheater@feline-soul.com> wrote:

> in my asound.conf i added a pcm.dmixer and added these options:
> rate 96000
> channels 6
> Then i added a pcm.!default pcm.dmixer line.
>
> Now they play! What's even better is that i actually seems to be
> *upsampling*! Regular old 16/44.1 flac files have a lot more detail.
> Listening to them with the dmixer set up that way i can hear
> performers breathing. It's not a subtle difference. I asked my
> partner to come into the room and listen (with out telling her what i
> was switching off/on and she said "Wow! That one sounds so much more
> alive!" This is something that is normally reserved for
> multi-thousand dollar cd players and i'm doing it for nothing! I love
> you Alsa!
>
> My avi movie files loose sound when i have the pcm.dmixer on, but big
> deal. i can just uncomment that default line and save the file. I've
> got the file open via screen+emacs so no big deal.

Glad it works for you.
But: Upsampling can't make it better(=closer to the original), you
can't magically get stuff that's not there (even if companies like
creative claim so).
If it sound better now than before something was wrong before or you
like some resampling artifacts ;)

Best regards
        Philipp