Re: [LAU] first recording effort, ardour and my new guitar

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 14:22:16 EET

Loki Davison wrote:
> despite the technical difficulties outlined in the other email some
> recording did occur. It's a cheesy love song inspired by recent
> events, some lyrics hopeful/prophetic/fictitious ;) Please tell me
> what you think. I really need singing lessons....

Hi Loki,

I'd say you just need more practice doing it. You can't be shy about
singing, it requires courage and bold intent. :) I tell my students to
not worry about the quality of their voices, just sing with presence and
full committment to the song.

Overall the song is fine, but the recording needs more love. The vocal
should be more out front, the guitars could be better balanced, and some
global effects might not be out of place (my vote's in for the CAPS
plate reverb, of course). Compression and some EQ might help the
recording as-is, but frankly I'd redo it and be more attentive to the
details.

Just my two pesetas, HTH.

Best,

dp