Re: [LAU] Bpm detection/quantize

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 06:15:43 EET

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> 'Good' automatic accompaniment will require more than
> the computer's ability to listen combined with some
> condensed programmed knowledge of musical structure
> and performance praxis.
>
> By 'good' I mean that the computer should be able to
> do it as expected, and without requiring specific
> instructions for each particular case.
>
> I suspect it would require 'training' of the same
> form that a musician capable of the same would go
> through.
>
> Now if such ability is the result of training, can
> it be called either 'manufactured' or 'simulated' ?
> If yes, should we humans consider ourselves as being
> manufactured or simulating ?

If you've access to a Windows or Mac, I'd be interested to know what
you think of this software:

http://www.circular-logic.com/
http://www.circular-logic.com/howItWorks.html

It uses a neural-net algorithm, derived from neurological research on
how the brain perceives tempo. I've tried it and was quite impressed.

Lee