Re: [LAU] midi keyboards, jackd, low latency

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 04:53:30 EET

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:55:42PM +0200, Bradley Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:20:48 -0200
> tizo <tizone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

> > Looking at the different IRQ, I have saw that my sound card is sharing
> > the IRQ 16 with an USB port, and the video driver. This is a cat of
> > /proc/interrupts:
> >
> > I have searched a lot on Internet, and even in the list, and I have
> > not found a way to change the IRQ assignments. In fact, I have read
> > some mails that said that I can't do that in a laptop (except in some
> > Thinkpads, where IRQ can be changed in the BIOS), as in PCs this can
> > be done changing the card to other slot. In other places, some kernel
> > parameters were suggested to obtain other IRQ assignments, but the
> > only parameter that change those in my computer, was "acpi=off", and
> > it was not better. In this case, /proc/interrupts shows the following:
> >
> When you load the snd-hda-intel module include the enable_msi=1 option.
> I do this on my laptop by adding the line:
>
> options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
>
> to my /etc/modprobe.d/sound file (but the file may be different on
> your distro. I use Slackware.)
>
> This moves my sound card to an interrupt of its own on my laptop.

Holy cow, it works!! Thanks!

I've seen the advice to use enable_msi but never saw an explanation of WHY to do that or what it did, so I stayed away from it.

It's awesome. I can actually run seq24 on my EEE with my full suite of basic keyboard sounds, and the screen updates often enough to make it almost usable.

Not that I'm going to do any serious work on an EEE with the built-in HDA-Intel card, but it does in fact work, well enough for street performances and possibly casual gigs too.

-ken