Re: [LAU] how to record Gramophone?

From: Jonathan Gazeley <jonathan.gazeley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 12:25:41 EET

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> frank pirrone wrote:
>
>> Grammostola Rosea wrote:

>>> Thanks all. Interesting suggesting Frank...
>>>
>>> Btw. Does it matter for quality what soundcard is used?
>>>

>> Not in my experience. It's not a demanding audio task. Others may
>> report differently.
>>
> Can someone confirm or reject this thesis?
Going back a few years I digitised a set of LPs using a SoundBlaster 16
card with a consumer Technics turntable, amplified by an ancient Inkel
MX-1810 mixer, hooked up to the line-in socket of the SB16 with a 3.5mm
jack.

Sounded surprisingly good given the bodged setup!

Obviously you will get better sound quality with a decent sound card,
but depending on your source, you can get away with a cheap sound card.
I don't recommend motherboard onboard sound chips though. They usually
pick up a lot of digital noise from the computer.

At the time I made those recordings, I was a Windows user and would
probably have used Steinberg Wavelab. I don't know what I'd use these
days under Linux though.

Jonathan