Re: [LAU] how to record Gramophone?

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 16:56:18 EET

Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>> frank pirrone wrote:

Gnome Wave Cleaner --> Markers / Mark songs

Not sure if you can save all detected songs into multiple files at once though.

Another thing about Gnome Wave Cleaner that I liked, is how efficiently it
handled large files.

Splitting can't be fully automatic anyway, you need to review it and maybe
adjust markers manually.

>>> Not in my experience. It's not a demanding audio task. Others may
>>> report differently.

IMO, the problem is at the preamp level. If I had some more LP's to digitized
today I'll certainly give a try using the amplified mics input of my Presonus
Firebox firewire device. From the voice/singing recordings I made, I can say
that the Firebox preamps sound excellent to me.

>> Can someone confirm or reject this thesis?
> Going back a few years I digitised a set of LPs using a SoundBlaster 16
> card with a consumer Technics turntable, amplified by an ancient Inkel
> MX-1810 mixer, hooked up to the line-in socket of the SB16 with a 3.5mm
> jack.

IIRC I used a SB16 too :)

> Sounded surprisingly good given the bodged setup!

I had no amplifier/mixer, I think I plugged the turntable directly into the mic
input of the SB16. The sound was ok, but using a mixer or some sort of quality
preamps as you did is certainly much better.

However, there seem to be some other subtleties, especially about equalization:
http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/audio.html

--
  Olivier