Re: [LAU] Mastering question (not software, but technique)

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 19:43:03 EEST

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> wrote:
> bonjour Fons!
>   Merci for this small guided tour. I will try to experiment with the ideas
> you gave me. I've already done one "master' of a song using the JAMin setup
> put into terms of ecasound. It sounded fine to me - at least at first listen.
> I guess viewed graphically or otherwise analysed it might still be hell.
>   If you're interested, here's the original:
> http://juliencoder.de/jazz.ogg
>   Here's the "master experiment":
> http://juliencoder.de/master.ogg
>   One thing is achieved: loudness and on my monitors the bass has more
> presence and another thing it has more brilliance. This master came to be
> using the assumptions of the original mail with only minimal tuning.
>   Kindest regards
>            Julien
>
> --------
> Music was my first love and it will be my last (John Miles)
>
> ======== FIND MY WEB-PROJECT AT: ========
> http://ltsb.sourceforge.net
> the Linux TextBased Studio guide
> ======= AND MY PERSONAL PAGES AT: =======
> http://www.juliencoder.de

Julien, are you using a control surface, or have you considered using
one? One of the primary reasons I got one was to take hand-eye
coordination out of my workflow as much as possible, it speeds things
up for me to be able to use my hand's memory of where a slider or knob
or button is rather than have to use my eyes to guide a mouse to a
virtual one on a screen. It only just now occurred to me that you
would probably find a similar, but larger, benefit.

I recommend trying out a control surface, with the most important
ecasound parameters tied to the midi ccs from the sliders. Also, if
you find a surface that does nrpn, this allows much more range for
fine tuning things like filter frequency that benefit from more than
128 discrete values per parameter. You will probably need a friend to
help with setting up the controller, since they usually give all their
feedback through an LED display, but I imagine you would find it
helpful to have one. I have the Behringer bcf2000 which costs $200,
and has motorized faders, allowing a setup where a large number of
parameters are mapped to the surface, and you can switch through
various sets of 8.