Re: [LAU] kernel install problem redux

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 21:39:03 EEST

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Going back to your original post it seems you never said what kernel
>> you were trying to boot and then having problems with. What kernel was
>> it?
>>
>> Currently it seems you really didn't try to jump that far going from
>> 2.6.24-18 to 2.6.24-23 which is likely why the booting part wasn't an
>> issue. Is that that your assessment?
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> The recap: I began by building and installing a 2.6.26 rt kernel. It
> wouldn't load, just aborted with the UUID error. I decided to install an
> Ubuntu-sanctified kernel, 2.6.24-18-rt,  when it appeared in the repo.
> Alas, I got the same error when I tried to load that one. After much
> head-scratching, I gave up this morning and installed 2.6.24-23-rt, and
> it works. AFAICT maybe I missed installing a modules package ? But that
> doesn't explain why my home-brew kernel wouldn't load.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Interesting set of events. I certainly cannot explain it.

Note that I personally wouldn't trust anyone other than Ingo's team to
give me an RT kernel that actually works. I don't know how to follow
when a distro kernel packager decides to add other things to the
kernel what those things are and whether they cause RT problems. For
that reason I personally run nothing but the kernel form the RT team
without any additions.

Glad you have things working.

- Mark

P.S. - It is generally very easy to download and build the kernel
straight from Ingo. You might give that a try one of these days. - MWK