Re: [LAU] how record electric guitar?

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 20:04:57 EEST

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Ricus Vincente <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 18:24 +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>
>  OK, this is driving me crazy.  I've been a professional audio engineer
> for 15 years.  Hang some mics in front of the amp.  If you're micing a
> 4x12 listen to each cone and put the mic in front of the cone that
> sounds best.  Hand two mics on the two best cones and record to two
> separate tracks if you want to get really crazy.  Check phase and align
> accordingly.

Here's what drives me crazy: someone asks a very basic question, how
to record a guitar, and you start talking about multiple mics! The OP
isn't even sure how to use one mic. And as a professional, you know
full well you don't *need* more than one.

>  If you're recording distorted guitar there's little need to compress on
> the way in because it's already super compressed.  If you have something
> really fat sounding like a Distressor or a Tube-Tech or something, and
> you want to fatten the sound a bit more, fine.

Agreed; don't worry about compression (yet). But again, if he has to
ask about how to record a guitar, do you think he owns a Distressor?
Or should even be thinking about how to use outboard gear (besides the
mic pre)?

>  I've had luck with almost EVERY mic I've ever used on guitars.  U47,
> U67, U87, 414, 4050, 421, KSM44, KSM27, M88.  On general principle I
> won't have a 57 on anything.  Maybe it's stubbornness.

It is stubbornness (in my not-even-amateur opinion).

My advice: plug your guitar into your amp, and fiddle with both the
guitar and amp until you like how it sounds. Then put the mic right
in front of the speaker. Start with ALL gain controls low, and slowly
bring them up. Don't worry about low cut on the pre; you probably
don't need it. Leave some headroom on the mic pre (using the meter)
but also leave a lot of headroom on your soundcard (use a mixer app).
Don't even try to get it as loud as possible, because you wind up with
digital clipping, which will ruin your recording. Just get it loud
enough. You can adjust the level more precisely later.

Listen to your recording. If you hear lots of rumbling, try the low
cut on the pre.

If you don't think the recording sounds like what you hear when
playing, move the mic farther away. Maybe even put it exactly where
your ear normally is.

Most importantly: stop reading and writing e-mail and do it. If it
sounds bad, change one thing and try again.