Re: [LAU] suspending with realtime kernel

From: Robert Persson <halfbeinghalfthing@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 12:07:31 EEST
Geoff King a écrit :
I've been having a problem which isn't directly to do with audio—it's to
do with the Ubuntu realtime kernel—but I haven't got any answers from
the Ubuntu forums and this is a real showstopper as far as doing audio
work goes.

I've tried the ubuntu realtime kernel several times. I'm not suprised by your
findings.  Check out these links. I would suggest you file a bug report to
ubuntu launchpad.

Thanks David and Geoff.

It doesn't look very well, does it? I certainly had realtime working on this machine at some time in the past because I remember launching and using Ardour. Did all these problems creep in with Intrepid?

I actually tried disabling networking before suspending last night. This time the interface didn't lock up immediately, but a whole raft of things went weird one after the other, taking me to the point where I had to hold down the power button for five seconds. Disabling networking altogether is not an option because I need to be able to switch between different activities easily; this isn't a dedicated audio workstation.
Do you really need -rt for your work?

Unfortunately, because I do actually need to work with audio in real time, I do need -rt. I shall certainly file a bug report, but I notice that the existing bug reports have been assigned low priority. Since it doesn't look like these problems are likely to be fixed anytime soon, I'm getting to the point where I have to consider ditching Linux and using Windows for everything. I need to be able to do a bit of audio work here and there and then get back onto other things, so rebooting all the time is not an option. The only other option would be to consider switching to a more audio-oriented distribution, by which I mean one that will also let me do normal desktop stuff (Gnome, Skype, Amarok, aMule etc. etc.) without too much hassle – I don't have the time to do the Gentoo thing over again.  Would something like Fedora/Planet CCRMA fit the bill? I notice however that on the main Planet CCRMA page it says that not all packages have been compiled in 64 bit versions. Does that mean I should forget the idea?

Robert