Re: [LAU] suspending with realtime kernel

From: Geoff King <gsking1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 16:27:16 EEST

> I've been having a problem which isn't directly to do with audio—it's to
> do with the Ubuntu realtime kernel—but I haven't got any answers from
> the Ubuntu forums and this is a real showstopper as far as doing audio
> work goes.

I've tried the ubuntu realtime kernel several times. I'm not suprised by your
findings. Check out these links. I would suggest you file a bug report to
ubuntu launchpad.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-rt/+bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/138691

In my experience you can get a good rt system from ubuntu if you do some major
tweaking, but then you might not like the desktop as much. If you could use a
basic desktop system with no wireless that would help you figure this out.

I remember playing with lots of changes such as removing NetworkManager,
tracker, acpid, apmd, adding rtirq, and making changes to other system settings.
 But that was a long time ago now.

Now since I don't really need realtime, I just use the generic kernel or one I
compile from Ubuntu sources so that I can use rosegarden midi (1000HZ timer and
low-latency desktop I think are the only changes). I have no real need for
realtime.

Do you really need -rt for your work?

Good Luck. Geoff