[LAU] suspending with realtime kernel

From: Robert Persson <halfbeinghalfthing@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 18:41:53 EEST

Hello

I've been having a problem which isn't directly to do with audio—it's to
do with the Ubuntu realtime kernel—but I haven't got any answers from
the Ubuntu forums and this is a real showstopper as far as doing audio
work goes.

I hadn't done any audio work for quite a while, and therefore had been
running the 64 bit Intrepid generic kernel on my Thinkpad R61i without
too much problem (but not entirely without problems either). Yesterday I
booted the realtime kernel. When I tried to suspend the machine I got a
message "Freezing of tasks failed after 20.00 seconds (2 tasks refusing
to freeze):" At this point the interface had frozen completely and I had
to force a shutdown by holding down the power button. There was however
some intermittent flickering from the disk activity indicator, so
something was still working. The tasks that were refusing to freeze were
NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant.

This happened one or two more times. Then I tried it again and found
that 4 tasks this time were refusing to freeze: NetworkManager,
wpa_supplicant, avahi-daemon and gnome-do. After this I returned to the
generic kernel, which is working as well as it always did.

Any ideas what's going on here? Unfortunately upgrading to Jaunty is not
a viable workaround yet because of its broken Intel graphics driver.

Many thanks
Robert