Re: [LAU] Normalizing Audio Levels using RMS

From: Steve Fosdick <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 16:22:46 EEST

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 11:05 -0700, Justin Smith wrote:

> If you want to normalize amplitude, the rezound algorithm works just
> fine, if you want to normalize loudness, then you want to use jamin,
> or some other program that processes different frequency ranges
> separately, since the human ear does not have a flat frequency
> response, loudness is frequency dependent. In regards to measuring in
> terms of RMS or not, someone else will have to address that.

I wonder if this explains some commercial CDs recently that seem a bit
light on bass. Is it the case that the bass frequencies take up lots of
amplitude for not much impression of loudness so if you cut them you can
then raise the level of the mid-range that will then make the whole
thing seem louder?

Back to the original question, is the intention to try to make a track
you are working on louder, in which case a compression tool like jamin
would seem like the right approach, or is it to try to get commercially
mastered tracks to play in sequence at the same apparent loudness in
which case what is needed is a model to score tracks for their perceived
loudness so the louder sounding ones can have their amplitude reduced to
match the less loud?

Steve.