Re: [LAU] suspending with realtime kernel

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 21:49:00 EEST

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 02:22:30PM +0200, Raffaele wrote:
> 2009/4/17 Geoff King <gsking1@email-addr-hidden>
>

> > > Regarding RT and ardour, you can run jack and ardour without RT.
> > >

> > Good point. Although I'm not using the -rt kernel anymore, my ubuntu jaunty
> > (and
> > intrepid before it) system works very well for audio stuff. I easily run
> > ardour
> > and jack and others and they are very stable. I found that I did not need
> > the
> > super low latencies (<5ms) from a -rt kernel to do the recording and
> > playback
> > that I was doing.
> >
> > Last time I had a really good -rt kernel was around Gutsy. I did a lot of
> > tweaking for that also, but it did work very well with the workstation.
> >
> > Also FWIW I was never impressed with WindowsXP's latency - Stopped using
> > that
> > about 2.5 years ago and never could get the latency down low enough for
> > live
> > playing using a software synth. So one should not just assume that Windows
> > will
> > give you the super low latencies of a -rt kernel.
> >
> > The best low latency I've ever gotten from my current desktop was using the
> > 64Studio distro a few years ago. But I've never tried the Fedora, Suse,
> > Mandriva versions so can't comment on these.
> >
> > Hope this helps someone.
> > Geoff
> >

> Did you try to compile kernel 2.6.29.1 with patch-2.6.29.1-rt7?
>
> As on every debian based distro it is very easy to compile a customized
> kernel using kernel-package.

In order to get suspend to play nice with RT/Ingo kernel on my EEE, I had to turn off Hyperthreading in the BIOS. Everything works fine now.

ACPI suspend/resume is really where the rubber meets the road in terms of hardware support. If a kernel can handle suspending to RAM, pretty much it can handle anything.

By the way, suspending to disk ("hibernate") is much easier, and there's built-in support for it in most kernels. That worked fine with my RT kernel, IIRC, it was only the suspend-to-RAM that gave me fits until I turned off hyperthreading.

-ken