Re: [LAU] suspending with realtime kernel

From: Robert Persson <halfbeinghalfthing@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 13:15:56 EEST

Ken Restivo a Ă©crit :
> In order to get suspend to play nice with RT/Ingo kernel on my EEE, I had to turn off Hyperthreading in the BIOS. Everything works fine now.
>
> ACPI suspend/resume is really where the rubber meets the road in terms of hardware support. If a kernel can handle suspending to RAM, pretty much it can handle anything.
>
> By the way, suspending to disk ("hibernate") is much easier, and there's built-in support for it in most kernels. That worked fine with my RT kernel, IIRC, it was only the suspend-to-RAM that gave me fits until I turned off hyperthreading.

I have 3Gb of memory and hibernating takes a year and a day, much longer
than it would take to shut down, reboot, and open all my applications
again, so until hibernation to a compressed image becomes available
(would it not be possible for instance to zero the unused memory and
then pipe the used and unused memory contents through a compressor?), it
isn't an option unfortunately.

As far as I can remember, I have hyperthreading enabled in the bios, but
it doesn't seem to be giving me any problems.

So basically, as I said before, apart from the hibernate issue, which
can be worked around easily, the latest rt kernel seems to be working
like a charm. The main challenge now, will be to make jack2 survive
through a suspend-resume cycle, which is something I never managed to do
in the past.

 Robert