[LAU] Snare drum mic too hot

From: Scott <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 02:14:06 EEST

I've seen some excellent threads lately on studio recording which reminded me of a
problem I'm having which I'd like to pose to the list...

My snare mic is way too hot while recording. I have the preamp turned all the way
down and it's still coming through nearly saturated. First of all, is this normal for
a dedicated snare mic? Second, should I skip the preamp altogether and plug directly
into my Echo Audio Audiofire12? Final recordings actually sound really good after
minimal mixing. I only add a slight reverb to the final mix, but otherwise it's got a
great studio sound.

Any tips to give my snare track more headroom?

My kit:
Dell XPS 1210 (1GB RAM, 7.2kRPM drive)
Fedora 10: CCRMA
Ardour+Jack