Re: [LAU] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 13:41:13 EEST

Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Newbie question:  Is it harmful to have QJackctl and Ardour both running
>> at the same time?  Do they have to potential to fight eachother, or to
>> make changes to the Jack environment that will be made by one but not
>> realized by the other, either in regard to jackd parameters, or in
>> regard to the connection patchbays?
>
> There is no harm whatsoever. Ardour will write, and QJackctl can
> write, ~/.jackdrc so that auto-started JACK servers will be created
> with the same parameters as "last time". But if JACK is already
> running, Ardour does nothing like this, and ditto for QJackctl. As Rui
> has pointed out, its even an option whether or not QJackctl writes
> this file at all.

Having two writters to single file without protection (serialization) is
call for trouble. I wouldnt call this harmless. Yes, I know probablity
is very low. Still it is posible. Also AFAIK qjackctl uses different
configuration file and just can export to ~/.jackdrc

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>