Re: [LAU] Building a DAW

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 23:07:44 EEST

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 03:29:09PM -0400, Ricus Vincente wrote:

> If I were building a studio for myself I would purchase something like
> a new Neve 5088 desk, and use Ardour with RME, and Mytek converters.
> And when I win the lottery, I will. :-)

Having used Neves I can only say I loved them. More than
Harrison or SSL.

For converters, a good choice to use with MADI and MADI/ADAT
are the 8-ch units from Aphex. They are great in fact.

> Ideally I'd like to submix the drums down to a stereo pair of outs so I
> only use 2 channels on my console, same for guitars, percussion
> overdubs, etc...

That would be perfectly possible. The only consequence is
that you have to divide you focus between routing done
on the mixer and within Ardour. For such use cases the
autoconnect works against you, so you have to do all of
it manually. It's no problem during mixing, but it takes
time during a recording session.

> I'd be comfortable with either. After all, they made records with
> destructive editing for decades. :-)

And using less than 16 tracks... Sgt. Pepper's was 4 track IIRC.

> > Regarding punching, I've found Ardour on the unstable
> > side when doing that, even recent versions.
>
> Well that changes things considerably for me. Punch-ins (and outs) are
> a fundamental function for any recording device like this. Why is it
> unstable in this area?

What happens regularly with my current setup is that after
one second or so you get an error saying that writing to the
disk failed for some reason. Restarting doesn't seem to help
in such cases, saving and reloading the session may help.
It's not something you'd want to happen twice in front of a
performing customer trying to concentrate on getting his/her
side of the punch right.

> From what I've seen there should be a workaround for this, right?
> Record another track, or region in the same track and drag the regions
> to fit around the punch. No?

Yes, but that means you have to switch the monitoring manually
at the right points during the punch, and of course edit the
transitions later. The latter takes time.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.