Re: [LAU] Building a DAW

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 20:31:45 EEST

Ricus,

> One thing that did strike me however, was that when I originally
> suggested using four, Delta 44 cards, a few people said that would be a
> problem, and to use two Delta 1010's. Cool.

Go spend some bucks on a decent RME card. There's a pretty good reason
why you see RME cards almost everywhere.

> What about if someone needed LOTS of tracks? Like a professional
> studio with a big analog desk that wanted to eschew Protools in favor of
> something like Ardour?
>
> Say 48 in and 48 out, or even 64?
> Does the RME hardware allow for that?

Yes. You can use e.g. multiple MADI cards (64ch each) and use them as
centerpiece of your studio's infrastructure. Works nicely in the studio
and abroad, but may come with a hefty pricetag, if you want to jump onto
the MADI train.

An alternative could be RME's ADAT or AES32 cards, depending on the kind
of interface you need. All these solutions depend on external converters
and merely provide you with a way to transport audio data in and out the
machine.

You may find pretty soon that 16 channels are not enough.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net