Re: [LAU] Building a DAW

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 19:20:47 EEST

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Ricus Vincente <wizardofgosz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>  Oh bummer... I've locked a variety of MDMs to analog decks before using
> SMPTE.

Ardour syncs to MTC, which is just re-encoded timecode. I've been told
by a company that specializes in timecode sync hardware that it syncs
faster and more accurately than any other product in the market place.
Its not technically hard to sync to SMPTE itself, but nobody has had
the incentive to do the work. I'd be happy to consider doing it as a
paid project - it would probably be about 4-8 hours work.

>  Getting the 2-inch machine to lock up to Ardour is definitely possible,
> but it would take getting a piece of hardware like a Timeline Lynx.

Not necessarily. I have a JL Cooper box that does bi-directional
conversion between LTC and MTC.

>  What about the Ardour punch-in question?  Shouldn't that be a
> high-priority bug fix?   :-)

Has it even been reported to the bug tracker? Note that Harrisons
XDubber is built around this functionality, and they tend to beat this
stuff to death. I've heard no reports of problems with punch in until
Fons bought it up on this mailing in. There is one vaguely related
report from sometime in 2007 with version 2.0, and that was believed
to be fixed (it was actually a crashing bug).