Re: [LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 05:21:52 EEST

jrogers wrote:

> - Manual install (like arch Linux) is fine and probably preferred. (manual is
> fine, but complete default instructions would be needed)

Regardless of what may or may not be wrong with Ubuntu Studio,
I think you should still choose to use a system with debian
packaging.

Yes, it has its faults, but no other packaging system comes near
it for ease of distribution, security, reliability, upgrade-ability
and so on.

I haven't used Arch specifically, but I currently have OpenSuse,
Fedora, Gentoo, FreeBSD and OpenBSD running in VMs. At work I am
the main developer responsible for a system consisting of 100s
(and hopefully soon 1000s) of remotely administered headless Linux
kiosk style systems based on the Ubuntu LTS release and over 100
of our own Debian packages.

Building this setup on any of the other systems I have tried would
simply not have been possible.

Erik