Re: [LAU] Audio Distribution Proposal...

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 05:56:51 EEST

On Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 12:21:52PM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> jrogers wrote:
>
> > - Manual install (like arch Linux) is fine and probably preferred. (manual is
> > fine, but complete default instructions would be needed)
>
> Regardless of what may or may not be wrong with Ubuntu Studio,
> I think you should still choose to use a system with debian
> packaging.
>
> Yes, it has its faults, but no other packaging system comes near
> it for ease of distribution, security, reliability, upgrade-ability
> and so on.

are you joking? its a hodge podge of perl scripts and baroque practices

if you want a 'canonical', 'trusted' binary of fairly recent vintage of a somewhat popular app, im sure you can't go wrong

but for stuff like audio where 98% of the stuff you want to instal resides in Git/Hg,

ive had much greater availability and ease with two solutions:

proaudio overlay (for gentoo) and Paludis (for handling of hg/git/vcs depchain updating)

and the AUR / archaudio.org project for Arch..