Re: [LAU] Daemons, daemons...kill those daemons.

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 14 2009 - 19:10:51 EEST

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> Brent Busby wrote:
>>
>> PortAudio:
>
> Isn't PortAudio an API... not a sound server?

Could be. I'm still on Debian etch, so I don't have it yet whatever it
is. Question is though, is it really necessary? Or is it benign enough
that it can be safely allowed regardless?

>> Arts ("artsd"):
>>
>> I already have some doubts about eliminating this one, at least in any
>> system that hopes to have a KDE desktop available. Even if we don't need
>> it per se, KDE seems (at least to a naive user like me) to be deeply wedded
>> to it. There are even direct mentions of artsd setup in
>
> FWIW.... aRts is needed for KDE 3, but has been removed for KDE 4. It is
> replaced by Phonon. From what I gather, Phonon is more of an API (like
> PortAudio) than a sound server (like aRts). However, it is able to be
> configured with different backends (libxine, gstreamer, NMM, and Helix are
> listed).

Okay, thanks for the info. By the way, is KDE 4 still a mess (as I keep
hearing), or should all the fear and loathing subside now?

(Still wondering about possible effects of global banning of esd...)

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky