[LAU] My first Linux audio recording...

From: Mike Mazarick <mazarick@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 27 2009 - 08:32:17 EEST

Well, last May 17 I had some friends over to play some music in the room
above my garage. I had fixed the room up to look like a bar. Suddenly, I
remembered that I had an old Radio Shack boom box in one of my closets with
some built in microphones that went straight to the cassette tape. I
looked around and tried to find a chromium tape, but since I couldn't find
one, I had to settle for the dolby noise reduction that was build into the
tape deck. Last week I had remembered the tape and used my old computer
with a SoundBlaster card, so I had the idea of putting the analog audio on a
computer. The old computer uses a Celeron processor with about 125 mb of
memory - it had linux on it so it would run at all. I think it was
something like RedHat 6.X or 7.X, but I'm not sure. In searching thru the
applications that might have something to do with sound, I found one called
'Audacity', which I could use to take the analog tape outputs and put them
in the computer. It pretty much filled up the hard drive. I was really
happy to see that it seemed to have worked, so I made an MP3 so I could put
it on the web (plus, I needed the space back on my hard drive). Since it
was recorded above my garage, I decided to put it on garageband.com.

Here is the link:

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSgZ1GxZ2E

(you may want to just download the MP3, because it seems like it skips a lot
when I try to play it from GarageBand).

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from any of the people on this list
about how you think it sounds.

-Mike Mazarick

PS - Do I remember correctly that Paul Hindemith was a bebop jazz player?
I can't remember if he played sax or guitar.. I was surprised he stopped
by and said "Hello". I thought he had died on the bandstand of a heart
attack while on a gig a long time ago.