Re: [LAU] Audacity: not good for making loops

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 27 2009 - 23:02:00 EEST

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Kim Cascone<kim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I guess I must have misread the Audacity web site and the manual because
> a moderator on the Audacity Forum just enlightened me to the fact that
> Audacity is NOT an audio editor (as 99.9% of the users falsely believe)
> but an 'Editorial Production Environment Manager'! </sarcasm>
>
> Audacity leaves *a lot* to be desired when it comes to making loops
>
> to wit: having to hit stop or pause so Audacity can 'pick up' the loop
> start and/or stop markers that were moved during playback makes crafting
> loops very painful - I'd go so far as to say useless actually.
>
> can anyone suggest an audio editor (on Linux) that edits loops in real-time?
>
> thanks in advance!

rezound if I recall correctly, but really there is little reason to
use anything other than ardour for audio editing on linux, it will do
loops as you trim them in real time, plus so much more. The only
problem with ardour is that it does so much and the user interface
doesn't really give you many hints (ie. control-middle-click on a
object for midi learn).