Re: [LAU] KDE4 observations + an easy question

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 13:50:48 EEST

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:40 AM, jedd<jedd@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>  Hi Ray,
>
>> KDE 4 is superior. Phonon + Xine (default) let's you use Jack as
>> primary device.
>
>  Yeah, it looks nicer (unless you're on a netbook) but I've simply
>  found it significantly less stable, with too many irritating bugs
>  hanging around in core apps.
>
>  I do understand that the direction they're heading means it's
>  going to be better - one day - and that the audio fundamentals
>  being re-engineered now are going to make a vast improvement
>  too.
>
>  As I mentioned in another post I just made, I'm still getting
>  weird performance issues using jack as my primary device,
>  and this is on a very grunty, and quite relaxed, machine.
>
>> And aren't you looking for a variation of "repeat A-B()"?
>
>  Probably - though I'm not hip with the nomenclature yet. ;)
>
>  An interface where I could press a || style button that paused
>  advancement of the track but didn't pause the audio output, is
>  what I'm really after.  In my old age I've become much more of
>  a 'give me a button' rather than 'give me a mechanism' kind of guy.
>
>  cheers,
>  Jedd.

Audio is fundamentally incapable of freeze-framing the way a video
would. The characteristics of a sound are tied very strongly to
transients and overtones that get altered or created artificially by
looping. An fft based approach like sonic visualizer suggested above
is probably your best bet, but it still will have problems and will
have distortions / artifacts that could get in the way of
transcription.