Re: [LAU] KDE4 observations + an easy question

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 13:58:10 EEST

2009/6/28 jedd <jedd@email-addr-hidden>

> Hi Ray,
>
> > KDE 4 is superior. Phonon + Xine (default) let's you use Jack as
> > primary device.
>
> Yeah, it looks nicer (unless you're on a netbook) but I've simply
> found it significantly less stable, with too many irritating bugs
> hanging around in core apps.
>
> I do understand that the direction they're heading means it's
> going to be better - one day - and that the audio fundamentals
> being re-engineered now are going to make a vast improvement
> too.
>
> As I mentioned in another post I just made, I'm still getting
> weird performance issues using jack as my primary device,
> and this is on a very grunty, and quite relaxed, machine.
>
> > And aren't you looking for a variation of "repeat A-B()"?
>
> Probably - though I'm not hip with the nomenclature yet. ;)
>
> An interface where I could press a || style button that paused
> advancement of the track but didn't pause the audio output, is
> what I'm really after. In my old age I've become much more of
> a 'give me a button' rather than 'give me a mechanism' kind of guy.
>
> cheers,
> Jedd.

Free software works in strange ways..here on a 1.6GHz Core Duo (not even
Core 2 Duo) laptop the Phonon-JACK setup is rock-stable, such that I even
have JACK start with my non-realtime kernel and let it (together with ALSA
JACK plug) handle all sounds. I'm guessing it's a multicore issue. But if
that's really how it is on your setup, it's not very stable. Hard to
pinpoint, since hardware is a huge factor too.

Ahh, I was just making sure I understood your requirement. There isn't such
an app, but it's a worthwhile project to look into for anyone interested.
Let me just check again, you want to be able to pause a track which upon
that action will continue to play back the last sound it was playing?