Re: [LAU] Audacity: not good for making loops

From: Emiliano Grilli <emiliano.grilli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 28 2009 - 16:04:45 EEST

Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Emiliano Grilli wrote:
>> I don't like audacity very much either. Its popularity comes maybe
>> from the fact of being cross platform, and relatively simple to use
>> (simpler than snd at least ;) Its multitrack facilities make it an
>> ideal tool for podcasters, too.
>>

> Audacity is very popular here at Studio Dave. I recommend it to all my
> students, it has some exceptional features for practicing musicians.

Sure, when I have to suggest an audio editor to people I have
converted to GNU/linux "audacity" is almost always the advice I give.

Many of them don't have/doesn't care for JACK or low latency so ardour
would be impossible. Other editors have less features or are too
difficult to configure via phone :) For example the monitoring
section I use to tell if the signal is there... etc..

> However, I use ReZound to do most of my touch-up edits to my own work.

How do you manage to use it with JACK in a stable way? I'm sure that
at Studio Dave, as here at cricketstudios JACK is "always on" :)

> re: Wavosaur - Indeed, some Windows users are more likely to use it than
> Audacity, primarily because of its support for VST and ASIO. I use it
> with Reaper under WINE, performance is very good there.

I don't know of wavosaur... I was using goldwave long long time ago on
windows.. I tend to avoid wine if I can, now.

> Best,
>
> dp

Cheers :)

BTW, compliments for the lightning/zebra jacket ;)

--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089