Re: [LAU] Delta 1010LT and envy24control

From: R.Wolff <musicwolf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 16:05:48 EEST

On 02.07.2009 22:01, marcusantonius wrote:

> Hi Raphael,
> Thank you very much for your answer. Do you mean, that you can change the
> levels via the adc faders? Because I cannot find a switch +4 or -10 in the
> 5th tab.

Yes, the gain-staging is via those faders, since there's no 'switch' in the
linux control panel for the envy24-based cards.
Even in the Windows version, although you can find a switch to determine
+4, Consumer or -10, these are just faders as well. The so called 'switch'
just makes the faders jump to a predefined fader value. So you can still
finetune those settings. And btw, IIRC the +4/-10 switch only works for the
first input pair (XLR). But I'm not sure about this, I'd have to search
the manual to be sure.

>And thank you for your tip with the alsamixer. It shows me, that
> for the adc fader in envy24control set to 124, I have 0 gain. Alsamixer says
> that it can change the volume between + 18 db and -62 db, can we trust these
> values? Still, the range from 0 to 163 in envy24control seems strange to
> me...

I never really understood the values/ranges in the envy24control panel.
The one which has me the most puzzled is the 'Volume Change Rate' in the
'Hardware Settings' tab.

> In terms of sound quality, is it bad to amplify the input signal via the
> Delta1010lt (with adc set higher than 124)?

IIRC, 0db on the control panel is always '0dbFS (Full Scale)', which doesn't
correspond to 0db VU in the analog domain. So there's absolutely no need to
go exactly (or even too near) 0db. Leave yourself a little headroom so that
you're still able to process your audio after the recording process.
Digital clipping really sounds nasty to my ears. You can hear it more
and more often in audio files downloaded from the net, and even on newer CD
releases sometimes.

But there are people on this list (Fons, Paul Davis, Norval, Dave Phillips, Ken
Restivo and many, many others) which can surely give you better replies and/or
scientific explanations on the subject.

> Thanks for your help,
> Markus

You're welcome,