Re: [LAU] Heads Up! ZynAddSubFX (Initial Feedback)

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 16:24:04 EEST

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:59:44 +0000 (GMT)
Frank Kober <goemusic@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I also think there's a great performance improvement with respect to
> all previous (patched or not) versions. I only have one initial
> dropout (generating an xrun) left when changing a patch for the first
> time after start. After that, neither xruns upon patch switches nor
> crackling with high CPU loads so far... :) Frank

True. I just tried and pushed and in normal use cases there's nothing
to complain about. Changing patches doesn't cause it to disconnect from
jack anymore. I often hear a slight crackle but that doesn't register
as xrun.

I pushed it hard using for example Folderol's HyperMatrix patch which
is very demanding. With this, as well as some other patches, it
crackles sometimes, without xruns. When you really push it over the
limit it crackles heavily and produces xruns, but that's to be expected
when there's no more cpu left to burn.
Here's where I just saw that an rt kernel makes quite a difference: with
stock 2.6.30 kernel I can play far less voices and once it gets near
100% cpu zynaddsubfx's jack backend is gone, forcing me to restart the
application.

So yeah, very good, the show stopping bugs seem to be mostly gone, it's
usable again, which is actually just great :)

Philipp