Re: [LAU] Jack, Ardour, and the Gentoo Pro-Audio Overlay

From: Tim Jones <tjones01@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 21:41:14 EEST

I've been settling into my own Gentoo system, and so far haven't had any
trouble with unmasked pro-audio packages (for numbered versions anyway)
interfering with anything else in portage. It seems to me that pro-audio is
not very well maintained. I've had to hack several ebuilds to get them to
work, but for the ones that do, likely any masks are just because no one has
tested the ebuild, or because it is live. But more people care about jack
and Ardour so you're likely to find more support on those. Anyway, I would
say don't be afraid of the masked packages. Sometimes the live ebuilds will
work, sometimes not, you may have to fix things yourself and submit bugs
upstream. Though so far my practice has been to build stable versions, then
rebuild with cvs versions as I want. Bad idea to use live ebuilds if you
want something working right away, but if you really want that latest
feature or bug fix, just try it.

I generally haven't built any dbus support, and I'm not sure how jack itself
uses dbus. Not sure about "classic" either, but for those undocumented
flags, I find the best thing to do is just open the ebuild and see what
options those flags are passing to configure (which you should be able to
figure out without any knowledge of how ebuilds work) and then see what
those do.