Re: [LAU] jackd version 0.116.1 - sampling rate of 44099 hz?

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 13:59:57 EEST

On Monday 20 July 2009 02:26:44 Justin Smith wrote:
> I have an ensoniq audiopci card that I have been using successfully at
> 48000 hz for a while now. I have just started working on a project
> with prerecorded material at 44100 hz, so I reconfigured jack in order
> to avoid needless sample rate conversion. Somehow jack thinks that my
> card is running at 44099 hz, so it is resampling the source material
> anyway.
>
> Why would my card be running at 44099 hz, is this a software or
> hardware problem? I am going to just edit the wav headers to say 44099
> so they agree with the engine sample rate for now, but would be
> interested to know what the source of this weirdness would be.

I filed this as a bug on the alsa driver more than once. The problem is in the
Ensonic PCI card. Its firmware has the round-off error (obviously) and reports
44099. (This is not a pro-audio card. Unfortunately, my old dman has no alsa
support.)

This is a royal pain in the you-know-what! Some apps will simply not start up.
I can get Tapestry to run by specifying 44099 on its command line! Others,
like yours, may want to resample. Pain.

I believe that alsa's drivers should not report back absurd data. There is no
such animal as 44099. It should be changed to 44100.