Re: [LAU] More recent kernel config options

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 03:41:30 EEST

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Ken Restivo wrote:

>> I've also run into a handful of config options that either help or hurt
>> realtime performance, depending on the specific hardware:
>>
>> NO_HZ (seems to work properly on most hardware these days)
>
> Is that advised? I was told to use HZ_1000 in order to get MIDI to
> work correctly. Should I be using NO_HZ instead? I've got several
> machines to configure: a 32-bit Atom EEE, a 64-bit Intel Micro-ITX,
> and a 64-bit Asus Intel Core2Duo

Oddly (and I don't really understand this), you can have *both*. I've
seen recommendations online from people who claim to have gotten good
results with Jack even on laptops by having NO_HZ and HZ_1000 selected.
I don't really know what the effect of this is. Does this mean you
generate no ticks except when you need them, but when you do, the jiffy
rate is 1000Hz? This naively seems to me like a better idea than just
running a clock all the time, but I don't know how that pans out for
recording and MIDI.

It seems like there ought to be more pooling of resources regarding
complete kernel configs that work. Everyone always talks about the
patches themselves...but anyone who can do 'patch -p1' against a tree of
source code can get that part right.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky