Re: [LAU] LAM etc

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 14:01:11 EEST

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Folderol<folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Norval,
>
> I know exactly what you mean about 'bandwidth' :(
>
> Well after a prolonged 'interesting' time with my 'net connection I
> think I'm finally back in business again.
>
> God bless BT - Not!
>
> Clockworks is a suite of five tunes with the common theme 'time'
>
> These are:
> The Clockmakers Workshop (the master of time)
> Working For The Machine (a slave of time)
> A Music Box Ballerina (frozen in time)
> The Clockmakers Apprentice (time thief)
> Dreams Of A Grandfather Clock (outside time)
>
> The suite is on my website at:
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Clockworks.ogg
> or:
> http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Clockworks.mp3
>
> It is just over 11 minutes long.

I liked the idea behind the suite. I was left wondering why there was
a bottle blowing sound in the first tune.. perhaps a clock chime (or a
variety of bells) might have suited it better? I think this music
would not be at all out of place in a children's cartoon or as
background music in a related documentary. That being said, it did
sound very "background". No real tunes to hum. Some of the melodies
seemed random to me. Also, for a clockwork based theme, there were a
couple of iffy bits of timing for the lead parts I think? Complete
hard quantization would be entirely appropriate here.

The whole does hang together well though, and I enjoyed the sounds you
used. I think the last one is my fave - has some bladerunner-ish
aspect to it. What's the analog synth sound you used for that tune and
also the other sound you used for the main part in time thief?

James