Re: [LAU] Midi Sustain Pedals

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 18:37:20 EEST

Hi Julien,

On Friday 07 of August 2009 08:26:26 Julien Claassen wrote:
> If you want that, you need an "expression pedal". The sustain
> pedeals just do normal or sustain, no degrees. What should they
> signify?

The sustain pedal on an acoustic piano does not act as a simple on/off
switch. Pressing the pedal lifts the damper from the strings, but it's
also possible to let the damper just slightly touch the strings by not
pressing the pedal all the way down. For some piano pieces, this
technique is even essential to play them properly.

There are sustain pedals which allow for this half pedal effect, but
they can't be used with all keyboards. I've only seen this feature in
digital pianos / stage pianos (88 keys with hammer action, etc.).
I'm not sure if it's supported by any of the more simple MIDI controller
keyboards.

Dominic